Thursday, May 29, 2008

Software Update Nightmares

I have to say I'm a bit peeved by Apple's latest Software Update effort - all 420 Mb of it. If it wasn't for the fact that Leopard is sooooo slow to start up on my old Dual G5 Powermac I wouldn't be bothered - but I'm told startup performance has been improved along with the other niggly things that make the Leopard experience a bit of a nuisance. So I thought I'd upgrade

420 Mb takes a big chunk of my monthly download allotment and by the way the old mac is slowly chugging down the hugh download, I think I've reached it and am now being choked back by my ISP.

What was Apple thinking? I thought Microsoft was the only perpetrator of that kind of gigantic patch; the last Vista Service Pack was a whopping 599Mb but I used my office network connection for that.

My Mac is on the end of a very erratic home ASDL connection and so is a little slower. The download of such a huge file slows the whole computer down making fill-in tasks such as web surfing - and posting to blogs for that matter - pretty harrowing!

It is not one of my favourite on-line user experiences and I wish they would find a way of doing it without the huge file sizes and long waits.

No comments: